Sweet and sour shrimp
Combine 2-1/2 tablespoons salt and water in medium saucepan; bring to
boil. Place shrimp in boiling water and simmer 30 to 45 seconds; drain . Rinse
in cold water 2 minutes. Cut large shrimp in half. set aside.
- 2-1/2 table spoons salt
- 6 cups water
- 1 pound peeled and deveined shrimp tails(rock shrimp may be used)
- 2 cans pineapple chunks
- 1 medium onion thinly sliced
- 1 small green pepper(bell) cut into 1-inch squares
- 1/4 cup melted margarine
- 1/2 cup vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 2 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 2/3 cups cherry tomato halves or thin tomato wedges
- 3 cups hot cooked rice
- 1/2 cup toasted slivered almonds
Drain pineapple chunks, reserving syrup-set aside. Saute' the onions and green pepper in
margarine until crisp-tender. Add vinegar, dry mustard, and cornstarch, blending until
smooth. Stir in pineapple syrup, soy sauce, sugar and 1/4 salt; cook over low heat,
stirring constantly, until smooth and thickened.
Gently stir cooked shrimp, pineapple chunks, and cherry tomatoes into sauce; heat thoroughly.
Combine rice, almonds toss lightly. Serve shrimp mixture over rice.
Sweet & Sour Meat Balls
Mix together meat, egg, bread crumbs, garlic powder,
onion, sugar, salt, & pepper. Shape mixture into small
balls, set aside. Combine cranberry sauce & BBQ
sauce in a saucepan, bring to a boil. Add raw meat
balls to BBQ mixture, cover & cook until meat is done.
- 1 lb. ground chuck
- 1 egg
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 2 tbs. minced onion
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 1 can jellied cranberry sauce
- 1 bottle BBQ sauce, with onions
Crock Pot Steak
Slice steak into 1/2x3-inch strips. Toss in mixture of flour, salt and pepper; place in slow
cooker. Pour in onion, gravy and Worcestershire sauce. Cook on Low for 7 to 8 hours or
until steak is tender. Serve with rice, mashed potatoes or noodles.
- 2 pounds Round steak, fat trimmed
- 1/4 cup Flour
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 Onion, chopped
- 8 ounces Beef gravy
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
Corned Beef And Cabbage
Put all ingredients in order listed except cabbage in crockpot.
Cover and cook on low 8 to 10 hours. Add cabbage wedges to
liquid pushing down to moisten, turn to high and cook 2 to 3 hours more.
- 3 carrots -- cut 3-inch pieces
- 4 Pounds corned beef brisket
- 3 Medium onions -- quartered
- 1 Cup water
- 1/2 small head of cabbage -- cut wedges
In a bowl combine all ingredients except for chicken. Stir. Using
a fork, poke about 5-8 sets of holes in each chicken breast. Put
chicken in marinade, making sure it is covered in the mixture.
Add more pineapple juice if necessary. Cover and refrigerate for
24 hours. Grill or bake. Serves 4 to 6.
- 6 Chicken breasts, boneless
- 2 cups Pineapple juice
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire Sauce
- 1/4 cup Soy Sauce
- 2 tablespoons Sugar
No Mess Meal
For each guest you will need:
Place meat on a large piece of heavy-duty aluminum foil. Sprinkle with salt
and pepper, or McCormick's Seasoning Salt. Add remaining ingredients in order.
Dot each with 2 tablespoons butter, lightly sprinkle veggies with seasoning salt or salt and
and pepper. Seal foil tightly. Cook on grill about 1 hour.
- 1 large hamburger patty or chicken breast
- 1 potato, cut into slices
- 1 onion, cut into slices
- 1 carrot, cut into slices
- 1/4 cabbage, sliced thinly
- 3 Mushrooms, sliced
Create your own versions of this simple meal depending on the fresh veggies available.
Place the meal bundles on paper plates and open. (no dishes or pots and pans to wash) Serve with
bread and drink. These may also be cooked in the oven, at 350° for 1 hour.
Poppy Seed Chicken
Boil chicken until done. Drain. put chicken into bottom of casserole. Mix
soup and sour cream , pour over chicken. Put crush crackers over chicken'
dab a little butter on top and sprinkle with poppy seeds. Bake in 350° oven until bubbly.
- 6 chicken breasts, deboned (I used chicken strips)
- 2 cans cream of chicken soup
- dabs of butter
- 1 pkg. Ritz crackers, crushed
- 2 tbsp poppy seed
- 1 carton sour cream
Red Beans and Rice
Brown sausage in margarine; add onions-celery-pepper cook till clear.
Drain. Add remaining ingredients cook over low heat till most of liquid is gone.
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped bell pepper
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tbsp. margarine
- 1 cup red kidney beans
- 2 cups cooled rice
- 1 can tomatoes
- 1 LB Polish or sausage of your choice
- salt and pepper
Mix cream cheese and onions. Divide into 8 balls. Salt and
pepper chicken and place cheese-onion ball in center of each piece.
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green onion
- 8 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, pounded flat
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 16 strips bacon
Wrap each piece of chicken in 2 strips of bacon (one strip in each direction),
so that cheese is completely sealed inside. Bake at 350° for 30-50 minutes or until chicken is done.
Proudly served at The Jemison Inn Bed & Breakfast and Gardens, Jemison, Alabama